Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Small World in the Big City

I've been absent from the big OC for awhile now. As some of you know, I recently re-located to New York City to spend the summer at an advertising agency. It's going great. I'm learning a lot, meeting a lot of people and getting lots of practice on the subway.

Ahhh the subway. When I first moved here, I refused. For 48 hours of my NYC life, I walked everywhere. It just wasn't for me, right? All those people. All those germs. I jest, I jest. Actually, I do have a bit of a strange rash on my face at the moment...Anyways, I read a map wrong, shocker, as Geography was the only class I had to withdraw from in college, and realized that there was no way I could walk to the tip of the island to meet a college friend for lunch. And so, I headed below the city for my first official ride on the subway.

I lived.

And I continue to utilize the subway system here in New York, although not so much for the purpose of getting around. I've truly come to love the musicians that take center stage on the platforms where I wait for the trains. I've seen movies, mostly bad romantic comedies, where some guy is on the street playing a saxophone in Central Park while a mismatched couple shares their first awkward kiss, but it's different underneath the streets of NYC. The musicians are passionate. They have to be to play often above 100 degree heat. They feel every note, they make every person on the platform hear them.

On one particular night this weekend I happened to hear the soulful sound of Paul Tabachneck. He caught me off guard. While I was happy to have a distraction from the sweat dripping off my back and my 100lb purse, I didn't know that I'd fall in love with the voice of a musician from Pittsburgh. He had a QR code on his guitar case, and as I got on the train, I realized that a little bit of home had showed up here in New York City.

You can catch Paul this weekend at Cafe Basilicia in NYC on July 3rd at 2 p.m. or in the Burgh on July 15th. For more information visit facebook.com/paultabmusic.

No comments:

Post a Comment