Sunday, July 10, 2011

Goodbye to the Boy Who Lived


I was 11 when my Mom presented me with the first Harry Potter book, Harry Potter + the Sorcerer's Stone. Today, at 25, it doesn't seem possible that the adventure is coming to an end. When the Deathly Hallows was released in 2007, I read the entire book, cover to cover in less than a day. It was strange, I wanted to know so badly what would become of the beloved characters in the book, but at the same time, I didn't want it to end.

I related to Harry. He was the new kid at Hogwarts, I was the new kid at High School. He was awkward looking, I had a good 8 year awkward stage. He was bullied by Draco Malfoy, I was bullied by just about everyone. The books provided an escape for me during those pre-teen + teenage years when I was looking for a way to find myself.

I said goodbye while I read the final book, I didn't realize how emotional I would feel now that the last movie is being released. At first, I didn't care for the movies, but as I re-read the books for the 8th + 9th time, I began to realize that the Harry Potter in the movies was the same boy in the books. They were one in the same, an accomplishment that I don't think any author/director has have achieved.

My good friend from high school, James, sent me this fantastic set of illustrated posters depicting all of the events of Harry Potter. We shared our love for Harry, Hogwarts + Quidditch while spending many days together in the high school band room.

You can check out the posters by French Milk creator Lucy Kinsley here. Or download them in high resolution from her website OMGGRYFFINDOR.

To J.K. Rowling, thank you for making the most unbearable days, manageable. Thank you for honoring the characters you created in the beginning + giving them the ending they deserved. You've changed the lives of many kids, and adult kids, by teaching them the lesson of perseverance + that if you never give up, you'll always be in control of your own destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment